Taking off right after the holidays may seem a little unconventional to some, but January is a GREAT time to visit Destin. With condo rentals dropping like the mercury in Colorado and the beaches and piers less congested, you may have found the perfect time to enjoy a Florida vacation along the Emerald Coast. And if the short lines at our fine restaurants and strolling along the less-crowded beaches aren’t enough to entice you to book a vacation rental with us, we’ve got 10 more reasons you should come to Destin in January:
1. The Gorgeous Weather – Whether you’re traveling from the icy chill of the Rockies or the snow-covered streets of Boston, there’s nothing like leaving your winter gear behind for shorts and T-shirts. Unlike the humid temperatures of the summer season, the winter high’s average in the low 60’s, making it perfect for enjoying a day out on the links or a sunset cruise on the Gulf.
2. Shopping – The Destin area has some of the best outdoor malls and outlet stores for bargain hunters. With the holidays behind them, store owners are looking to empty their shelves of inventory so they can restock for the summer season. Shoppers will find clearance sales and will be able to fill their bags to overflowing at a fraction of the high-season cost.
3. Great Eating/No Waiting – With so many types of restaurants to choose from, you can’t go wrong with a night out enjoying the local fare. Even better, the winter months mean you aren’t forced to make reservations or stand in long lines. Many restaurants also offer winter specials, such as dinner specialties or buy-one-get-one-free meals to entice diners to walk-in and enjoy.
4. Water Fun – Some of the water parks are shut down for the winter, but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the water. Many of our condo rentals have pools that are perfect for relaxing in the sun or taking an invigorating swim. And many visitors from the north tell us the ocean waters at the beaches of Destin in the winter are warmer than back home in the summer!
5. Plenty of Adventures to Enjoy – Whether you’re looking to hike nature trails, bike along scenic roadways or paddleboard on the emerald green waters of the Gulf, Destin has many businesses just waiting to offer you an adventure to remember. Take a trip to the historical fishing museum, enjoy the dolphins at the Gulfarium or relax in the sun on the sugar white sands of Ft. Walton Beach—your adventure is waiting.
6. Cultural Shows and Art Exhibits – With symphonies, ballet performances, touring musicians and Broadway productions, the arts are at the heart and soul of Destin. Without the bustling crowds of summer, winter is the perfect time to take in a cultural show or walk along Harbor Village and enjoy an art exhibit.
7. Time for “Tee” – Destin has plenty of stunning golf courses where you can enjoy the temperate weather and beautiful sunshine of the Florida panhandle at a fraction of the rates charged during the summer months. With the added benefit of fewer people and cooler temperatures, a day on the greens may just be the perfect reason to vacation in Destin.
8. Fishing for Dinner – If you enjoy casting a line and filling your cooler with fresh fish for dinner, then Destin is the perfect vacation spot for you. Whether you’re looking to surf cast from the beach with your toes in the sand and the wind in your hair or enjoy the thrill of a deep-sea fishing expedition, the winter months offer some great discounted rates. Flounder, red snapper, grouper and cobia are a few of the fish species inhabiting the Gulf in the winter.
9. Just Relax – With the holidays now in the memory books and the crowds of summer still months away, Destin just seems to find a slower rhythm. The beaches are less crowded, the upscale boutiques are not so jammed with shoppers, restaurants are definitely less chaotic, and even the sunsets seem a little more picturesque in the winter months. Just sit back, breathe easy and enjoy the quieter side of Destin.
10. Condo Rates Drop with Temperatures – Fewer people vacationing in January and February mean condo and resort rental prices are at their lowest. With the Emerald Coast relatively empty compared to the busy summer season, many companies are looking to fill their rentals, meaning a significant savings for you. Give us a call today and we’ll help you find the perfect rental at a great winter rate!